Musical instruments are recognized as devices for producing a musical sound. The principal types of instruments are classified by the methods of producing sound, such as percussion, stringed, keyboard, wind and electronic. Musical instruments are almost universal components of human culture, ranging from the entertainment of concert audiences to the accompaniment of dances, rituals, work and therapy. Musical instruments have been used since earliest times for a variety of purposes.
Benefits of playing an instrument :
- Increases Memory Skills
Playing an instrument allows a child to create, store and retrieve memories more effectively. Watch this video from TED-ED that explains how playing an instrument is like a total workout for the brain.
2. Teaches Perseverance and Creates a Sense of Achievement
Playing an instrument takes time, patience and practice. Children will feel a sense of achievement and pride when they reach their goals in their music lessons or music therapy.
3. Improves Math Skills
Music and math are highly intertwined in terms of understanding beat, rhythm and scales. Children can learn how to divide, create fractions and recognize patterns.
4. Improves Coordination
Hand-eye coordination can be improved through playing an instrument, where the conversion of reading music in the brain to the physical motion of playing the instrument requires the brain to work at advanced speeds.
5. Improves Reading and Comprehension Skills
Children and teens need to identify a note on the page and recognize which note (pitch) to play on their instrument, how long to hold it, what finger to use and how loudly to play it. All of these activities which requires comprehension and constant reading can help in reading and understanding literature in school classes.
6. Creates Responsibility
From oiling to tuning to cleaning, most instruments require some kind of maintenance or upkeep. This encourages children to stay on top of instrument maintenance which can create a sense of responsibility for them.
7. Exposes the Student to Culture and History
Music theory has a deep history and is taught as part of musical instruction. The composition of music that is based on the era it was composed in is known as a reflection of the culture. Children can have a deeper understanding of the origins of music they are playing and they may become more attached to it.
8. Improves Listening Skills
Playing an instrument requires children listen carefully to an array of different things which are not limited to instructions from their teacher or music therapists, they need to listen for rhythm, pitch and tempo as well. This concentration will improve their skills in music and in life too
9. Nurtures Self-Expressions
As music therapy benefits children in terms of the ability to express themselves, children who play an instrument are able to find themselves creatively. Children can find a way to express their feeling by learning how to express themselves and their complex feelings through music.
10. Improves Social Skills
During a group setting music therapy session, this requires children and teens to work together on a specific sound or song. Through interaction with other kids, this will give them the opportunity to make friends and improve their social skills.
2. 教导毅力并创造成就感 演奏乐器需要时间，耐心和练习。当孩子们在音乐课或音乐疗法中达到目标时，他们会感到成就感和自豪感。
3. 改善协调 通过演奏乐器可以改善手眼协调，其中将大脑中的音乐阅读转换为演奏乐器的物理运动需要大脑以先进的速度工作。
4. 提高数学技能 音乐和数学在理解节拍，节奏和音阶方面高度交织。孩子们可以学习如何划分，创建分数和识别模式
5. 提高阅读和理解技巧 儿童和青少年需要识别页面上的注释，并识别要在他们的乐器上演奏哪个音符（音高），持有多长时间，使用什么手指以及播放它的声音。所有这些需要理解和不断阅读的活动都有助于阅读和理解学校课堂中的文学作品。
6. 创造责任 从上油到调整到清洁，大多数仪器都需要某种维护或保养。这鼓励孩子们掌握仪器维护，这可以为他们创造责任感。
7. 让学生接触文化和历史 音乐理论有着悠久的历史，是音乐教学的一部分。音乐的构成基于它所组成的时代，被称为文化的反映。孩子们可以更深入地了解他们正在播放的音乐的起源，他们可能会更加依赖音乐。
8. 培养自我表达 由于音乐疗法在表达自己的能力方面对儿童有益，因此演奏乐器的儿童能够创造性地发现自己。孩子们可以通过学习如何通过音乐表达自己和复杂的感受来找到表达自己感受的方式。
9. 提高听力技巧 演奏乐器需要孩子仔细聆听一系列不同的东西，这些东西不仅限于老师或音乐治疗师的指示，他们也需要聆听节奏，音调和节奏。这种集中将提高他们在音乐和生活方面的技能。
10. 提高社交技能 在小组设置音乐治疗期间，这要求儿童和青少年在特定声音或歌曲上一起工作。通过与其他孩子的互动，这将使他们有机会结交朋友并提高他们的社交技能。